Thursday, October 13, 2011

Learn from my Fail!!

13 Oct 2011

In April this year I moved into my own place. This was an exciting time for me!!!

The very first time I was going to live with Me, Myself and I….

Crazy luck the universe threw my way. I saw an apartment advertised right next door to my old flat...

Walked in and just loved the space. I was a bit weary to look around, because it was the crazy neighbor’s T and I ratted out to the cops a few times (Oops!)

Called the estate agent next day and in two days time all was sealed, signed and delivered.

A week later comes moving day. Beyond excited!!! I turn the key and open the door to a complete mess!!! Major Filth attack!! Walls, floors, cupboards. Every inch of that flat was a WTF sight..

What the heck happened to the place I viewed…? Oi Lynne! You viewed it alright, but did you do a proper inspection?


My Advice….

  • Never view an Apartment /House in the evening. If you do, please go back during the day. You will be able to see what condition the place is really in.

  • Insist on viewing the flat with the estate agent by your side. If there are any problems, the agent must take note of it...
  • Any painting or any repairs should be done prior to you moving in. Trust me it is not fun having to clean paint off your curtains and furniture.
  • NB NB! It is the previous tenants or owners duty to make sure that the place is left in a livable condition. It is not your duty to clean up after them. F that shit!
  • NB NB!! An inspection should be done by the estate agent before the previous tenants or owners move out AND After. Do not sign anything unless that is done!

After loads of tantrums and threats the house that jack build, is finally a space I can truly be proud of.


- For rental advice/lodge a query, contact the Rental Housing Tribunal on 011 630 5035 for rental advice/lodge a query, or alternatively you can research your query on TPN's rental forum - http://forum.tpn.co.za/

-The Estate agency board also has an informative website which you can visit, http://www.eaab.org.za/contact_us.html


A house is made of walls and beams; a home is built with love and dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment